Isamu Noguchi, Momo Taro, 1977-78. Gift of the Ralph E. Ogden Foundation, Inc.
Visitor Services Team
Storm King Art Center is hiring staff for a variety of seasonal roles. We are seeking Admission Clerks, Attendants, Museum Store Clerks, Safety Attendants and Tram Drivers to work as part of our Visitors Services (VS) team and support our activities from April 6, 2016 through November 29, 2016. The ideal candidate must have a love of art, nature, the outdoors, and working with the public.
Our team of dedicated VS staff is the public face of Storm King and essential to the smooth running of the Art Center. All VS staff are responsible for enhancing the visitor experience with an always friendly and professional manner; assisting visitors by answering questions; and by providing information on Storm King exhibitions, artists and artwork, site, amenities and services. VS Staff are also responsible for protecting Storm King property through observation of and interaction with the visitors.
Opportunities available include:
Admission Clerk: Welcome visitors to Storm King, collect admission fees, and notify visitors of special programs for the day. Coordinate with various departments in welcoming VIPs and group visits and accommodating special guest needs and special events. Admission Clerks operate point of sale register and iPad systems. Cash handling experience a plus.
Attendant: Greet, direct, and answer visitor questions; open and close galleries and clear site; provide support for several onsite events; protect the art and grounds; and occasionally operate point of sale register and iPad systems. Provide backup support as needed in admissions, museum store, and information sites. Primarily work outdoors.
Museum Store Clerk: Provide customer service to all visitors at three locations throughout the grounds; answer general questions about Storm King, store merchandise and Memberships; answer main switchboard; and answer visitor and callers’ questions and direct calls, appropriately. Operate a point of sale register and iPad system. Work indoors and outdoors throughout the season. Work may also include pop-up store sales at event locations as needed. Prior point of sale, cash handling, and/or switchboard experience a plus.
Attendant—Safety: Patrol and monitor outdoor and indoor areas; ensure the safety of Storm King’s property and collection, visitors and staff; respond to safety and security incidents; help with several onsite events, direct cars, escort special guests, and drive the trams as needed. Safety attendants must have or be willing to obtain a New York State Security Guard license. A Current NY State Security Guard License or the ability to be licensed during the season is required. Storm King provides assistance with the license application and training process for applicants and provides recertification training.
Tram Drivers: Operate trams for pre-recorded tours. Provide crowd control for guests boarding and exiting trams. Make announcements for guests on the tram as needed. Maintain cleanliness of tram between tours. Adhere to tram safety procedures and maintenance of tram. Please note, that drivers will have additional responsibilities related to parking and site safety. Current, clean CDL driver’s license a plus. Clean driver’s license required.
Full-time and part-time positions are available for a combination of weekday and weekend schedules. All schedules include some weekend work. Typical work days are 9:30am to 6:00pm. Wednesdays through Sunday. Work hours may extend on Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day when the site is open until 8:00pm. Morning or evening events will occasionally require longer shifts. Storm King is open four holiday Mondays and staff are required to work all holiday Mondays during the season.
Benefits and Training
Starting salary varies based on experience and role. All VS staff are eligible to participate in Storm King’s 403(b) retirement plan. Storm King also conducts mandatory training throughout the season.
- Ability to interact with visitors and staff in a consistently friendly and professional manner
- Ability to be a part of the team to monitor and enforce compliance with Storm King’s rules and policies
- Enjoy working with the public in the outdoors in all weather conditions
- Have an interest in modern and contemporary sculpture
- Willingness to learn about Storm King history and current exhibitions
- Ability to enthusiastically answer questions about specific sculptures and artists
- Ability to operate or be trained on a point of sale register and iPad systems
- Ability to assist with set up of special events as needed
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and walk the grounds
- Ability to patrol by bicycle (which will be provided) is a plus
- Occasional lifting is required
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Visitor Services” in the subject.
Storm King Art Center is an EEO institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, pregnancy or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal access/equal opportunity employer.
Storm King Art Center seeks a full-time Curatorial Assistant
About the position:The Curatorial Assistant serves an instrumental role in ensuring that Storm King Art Center’s Curatorial Department meets its goals and obligations with regards to Storm King’s acquisitions, exhibitions, research, publications, and collections management. The Curatorial Assistant reports to the Director and Chief Curator, and Curator.
To be successful in this role you must enjoy new challenges, have a “can do” attitude, and have the ability to:
- Conduct and organize efforts toward research, fact checking, proofreading, and coordination of curatorial exhibitions and publications which includes: gathering credit information and image permissions; working with editors, writers, filmmakers, photographers, and designers; ensuring that contractual and grant obligations and deadlines are met; and managing catalogue distribution to contributors and VIPs.
- Supports the department’s efforts in the identification and acquisition of outstanding works of art for the collection.
- Correspond with artists, lenders, dealers, and other museums regarding all aspects of exhibitions and special publications.
- Assist on all aspects of the planning, researching, coordination of and installation of Storm King’s annual exhibitions and publications.
- Assist in the development of educational material for the collection and exhibitions to educate the general public, employees and docents.
- Research, write and edit art historical texts for publications, object labels and press.
- Keep informed of current activity in contemporary art and sculpture through gallery and museum visits, publications, etc.
- Conduct VIP tours for donors, artists and scholars.
- Maintain collection database and files.
The ideal candidate must have:
- A strong belief in Storm King’s mission and vision, and the ability to articulate this in a persuasive and inspiring manner.
- Demonstrated passion for the visual arts, with a strong commitment to making art collections more accessible and meaningful to the general public.
- Excellent communication skills overall with particular focus on research and writing skills.
- Ability to safeguard confidential information and perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism, and integrity.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to interact with all levels of staff as well as artists, the public and visitors in a positive, professional and friendly manner.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite; will train on in house data base system.
- Ability to work both in an office environment and outdoors in various weather conditions.
- Ability to conduct tours outside with a golf cart or walking on grassy and paved paths.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours, including weekend work, special events and exhibition openings as required particularly from April through end of November.
- Requires occasional travel to NYC and local venues.
Storm King offers a generous and competitive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, voluntary short term disability, a retirement program, paid time off and even more.
If you are looking for an opportunity to learn about the curatorial and museum world, please submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. with “Curatorial Assistant” in the subject line. Candidates invited to interview will be asked to provide writing samples. No phone calls please.
Storm King Art Center is an equal opportunity institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status, mental or physical handicap or any other category protected by law.