Isamu Noguchi, Momo Taro, 1977-78. Gift of the Ralph E. Ogden Foundation, Inc.
Storm King Art Center is hiring staff for a variety of seasonal roles. We are seeking Admission Clerks, Attendants, Museum Store Clerks, Safety Attendants and Tram Drivers to work as part of our Visitors Services (VS) team and support our activities from April 6, 2016 through November 29, 2016. The ideal candidate must have a love of art, nature, the outdoors, and working with the public.
Our team of dedicated VS staff is the public face of Storm King and essential to the smooth running of the Art Center. All VS staff are responsible for enhancing the visitor experience with an always friendly and professional manner; assisting visitors by answering questions; and by providing information on Storm King exhibitions, artists and artwork, site, amenities and services. VS Staff are also responsible for protecting Storm King property through observation of and interaction with the visitors.
Opportunities available include:
Admission Clerk: Welcome visitors to Storm King, collect admission fees, and notify visitors of special programs for the day. Coordinate with various departments in welcoming VIPs and group visits and accommodating special guest needs and special events. Admission Clerks operate point of sale register and iPad systems. Cash handling experience a plus.
Attendant: Greet, direct, and answer visitor questions; open and close galleries and clear site; provide support for several onsite events; protect the art and grounds; and occasionally operate point of sale register and iPad systems. Provide backup support as needed in admissions, museum store, and information sites. Primarily work outdoors.
Museum Store Clerk: Provide customer service to all visitors at three locations throughout the grounds; answer general questions about Storm King, store merchandise and Memberships; answer main switchboard; and answer visitor and callers’ questions and direct calls, appropriately. Operate a point of sale register and iPad system. Work indoors and outdoors throughout the season. Work may also include pop-up store sales at event locations as needed. Prior point of sale, cash handling, and/or switchboard experience a plus.
Attendant—Safety: Patrol and monitor outdoor and indoor areas; ensure the safety of Storm King’s property and collection, visitors and staff; respond to safety and security incidents; help with several onsite events, direct cars, escort special guests, and drive the trams as needed. Safety attendants must have or be willing to obtain a New York State Security Guard license. A Current NY State Security Guard License or the ability to be licensed during the season is required. Storm King provides assistance with the license application and training process for applicants and provides recertification training.
Tram Drivers: Operate trams for pre-recorded tours. Provide crowd control for guests boarding and exiting trams. Make announcements for guests on the tram as needed. Maintain cleanliness of tram between tours. Adhere to tram safety procedures and maintenance of tram. Please note, that drivers will have additional responsibilities related to parking and site safety. Current, clean CDL driver’s license a plus. Clean driver’s license required.
Full-time and part-time positions are available for a combination of weekday and weekend schedules. All schedules include some weekend work. Typical work days are 9:30am to 6:00pm. Wednesdays through Sunday. Work hours may extend on Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day when the site is open until 8:00pm. Morning or evening events will occasionally require longer shifts. Storm King is open four holiday Mondays and staff are required to work all holiday Mondays during the season.
Benefits and Training
Starting salary varies based on experience and role. All VS staff are eligible to participate in Storm King’s 403(b) retirement plan. Storm King also conducts mandatory training throughout the season.
- Ability to interact with visitors and staff in a consistently friendly and professional manner
- Ability to be a part of the team to monitor and enforce compliance with Storm King’s rules and policies
- Enjoy working with the public in the outdoors in all weather conditions
- Have an interest in modern and contemporary sculpture
- Willingness to learn about Storm King history and current exhibitions
- Ability to enthusiastically answer questions about specific sculptures and artists
- Ability to operate or be trained on a point of sale register and iPad systems
- Ability to assist with set up of special events as needed
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and walk the grounds
- Ability to patrol by bicycle (which will be provided) is a plus
- Occasional lifting is required
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Visitor Services” in the subject.
Storm King Art Center is an EEO institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, pregnancy or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal access/equal opportunity employer.
About the position: The Events and Visitor Services Assistant reports to the Visitor Services Coordinator. This unique position offers hands-on training in a fast-paced, team-oriented museum environment. The ideal candidate will also gain valuable insight into the art world while assisting with the coordination of photo shoots, private and corporate events. In this role, you will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of events including, but not limited to the following:
- Assist with booking and coordinating variety of events ranging in scale from 2 to 300 people; events will include weddings, corporate events/outings and meetings, photo shoots and private functions.
- Assist with drafting contracts, processing invoices and collection of payments.
- Assist with production of events from prep to break down including gathering supplies, room layouts, food and beverage requests, audiovisual needs, tracking inventory and other tasks as needed.
- Correspond with clients and vendors by responding to inquires and setting up appointments for site visits
- Coordinate amenities for event set ups by working with vendors both onsite and offsite.
- Create event memos for staff.
- Work closely with Visitor Services to coordinate arrangements for events.
- Input and update data into Abilia and Sage database systems.
The ideal candidate must have
- College degree (Associate’s or Bachelor’s) related to Business Administration or Communications or related study or equivalent field experience preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience providing administrative support.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written form, and to interact with all levels of staff, Board, donors, the public and visitors in a positive, professional and friendly manner.
- Ability to safeguard confidential information and perform with a high-level of discretion, professionalism, and integrity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be a team player with flexibility and willingness to work in a variety of tasks.
- A roll up your sleeve attitude to handle all tasks associated with running events seamlessly.
- Experience with both the art world and major regional museums, exhibitions and venues strongly preferred.
- Must be available to work extended hours and to work weekends and holidays, as necessary.
- Ability to work outdoors, as required, in various weather conditions.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) is required.
- Working knowledge of Abilia and Sage a plus – will train.
- Occasional travel to New York City required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a car.
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
If you are an energetic and responsible individual who has a strong interest in learning about museums and event planning, then please submit your cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Events and Visitor Services Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Storm King Art Center is an EEO institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and is an equal access/equal opportunity employer.