Please Note: Storm King will close at 4PM, Saturday, June 22, 2019
In order to prepare for our annual Summer Solstice Celebration, Storm King will close at 4PM, Saturday, June 22, 2019.
To learn more and purchase tickets to the event, visit www.stormkingsummersolstice.org
One-Day Workshop For Adults: The Art of Observation
10:30am — 4:30pm
ONE-DAY WORKSHOP FOR ADULTS: THE ART OF OBSERVATION
Creative field journaling at the intersection of art and nature
November 5, 2016
Time: 10:30am – 4:30pm
Fee: $250 nonmembers; $225 members
*Space is limited*
Weaving together ecology and art, this class offers participants a unique opportunity to explore Storm King’s forests, fields, and sculptures through creative journaling. Throughout history, both scientists and artists have used field journals to note their observations of the natural world and develop their ideas. This one day workshop with artist and scientist Hara Woltz will leave you with a new understanding of the intersections between the art and nature at Storm King, sharpened observational skills, and a newfound love of field journaling. No prior knowledge or skills required!
You will walk away with:
- An accordion field journal of drawings, collages, written and drawn observations
- A set of deluxe pencils and related supplies
- New ways of observing and recording the world including particular methods of sketching, writing, data collecting, and collaging
- Insight into artistic and scientific fieldwork
- A deeper understanding of the art and ecology of Storm King Art Center
Class fee includes:
- Admission to Storm King Art Center
- Materials fee
- Boxed lunch from Storm King Café
Hara Woltz is an environmental artist, scientist, and activist. Utilizing a variety of media, she addresses aspects of the destruction and conservation of ecological systems. Through her work, she reveals patterns, connects disciplines, and examines interactions between humans and the environment. For the last three years, Hara has co-taught Storm King’s summer class, The Art of Scientific Observation: From Microecology to Monumental Sculpture. She is the author of Storm King Art Center’s Field Guide for Young Explorers.