Breaking ground in spring 2023, Storm King’s capital project comprises a new Welcome Sequence with consolidated parking and accessible amenities; the construction of the Art Center’s first dedicated Conservation, Fabrication, and Maintenance Building; and a holistic approach to landscape stewardship and environmental sustainability.
The Welcome Sequence will consolidate visitor parking to a single area on the forested edge of Storm King, doubling visitor parking capacity and allowing for quicker, easier entry. This new area eliminates cars from the visitor experience by removing two parking lots currently sited in Storm King’s grounds.
- Dedicated bus and rideshare drop off loop to promote mass transit and group visits
- 12 electric car charging stations with the opportunity to add more
- Universally designed pathways
The Start of a Great Experience
An outdoor lobby to meet visitors’ immediate needs upon arrival via a series of accessible pavilions. Visitors will find hospitality and essential amenities—orientation, restrooms, and group gathering spaces—in an easy-to-navigate area rich with natural landscaping.
- Ticketing pavilion to welcome visitors and streamline the admission process
- Accessible amenities including new restrooms, lockers for safe storage, and a canopy that facilitates gathering and orientation for children on field trips and other group visits
- A pathway populated with native plants that will guide visitors from the outdoor lobby into Storm King’s art and landscape
From Artistic Vision to Reality
A dedicated Conservation, Fabrication, and Maintenance Building to expand Storm King’s ability to realize extraordinary projects and its support of artists’ visions on a grand scale. Conceived as a venue for creative collaboration, the building will serve as a workshop, studio, mechanical shop, storage space, and office.
- 19,375 square feet total
- 7,200 square feet of flexible workspace, with 22-foot clear ceilings heights
- Five large access doors for the movement of art into and out of the facility
- 1,000 square-foot wood shop
- 800 square-foot paint booth
- Energy Recovery workspace ventilation system
New landscaped areas for art and programming created by reclaiming key acres of centrally located parking lots.
- 4.5 acres of former parking lots converted to landscape for art and programming
- Removal of 330 feet of culverted stream, daylighting the stream, and constructing a connected wetland system
A Sustainable Future
Building on Storm King’s legacy of landscape stewardship and environmental sustainability, the Project harnesses clean, renewable energy and enriches the Art Center’s landscape with new plantings selected for their resiliency in response to climate change.
- LEED Gold certification for the Welcome Sequence
- Natural air and light to efficiently reduce energy demand
- Highly efficient all-electric heating and cooling equipment, which will result in reduced operational expenses and long-term capital costs
- Sustainable and durable materials to reduce embodied energy and limit long-term maintenance demands
- Enhanced mobility options to Storm King to reduce carbon emissions and promote staff wellness
- Planting of over 650 new trees to offer shade for visitors and promote biodiversity