Mission & Values
Storm King Art Center nurtures a vibrant bond between art, nature, and people, creating a place where discovery is limitless. Committed to supporting artists and stewarding its landscape, Storm King connects with visitors through dynamic exhibitions and programs.
– Exhibit, acquire, borrow, and conserve modern and contemporary art, focusing on large-scale sculpture sited in the Art Center’s expansive landscape, to create a dynamic and unique place to explore art in nature
– Provide engaging exhibitions, educational and public programs, and special events
– Contribute to an art historical discourse through scholarly research, publications, and archives on sculpture
– Value relationships with artists and encourage development of their ideas and practices
– Wisely steward and conserve the Art Center’s natural setting by adopting sound and sustainable landscape and viewshed management practices
– As an international destination, contribute to the cultural life and prosperity of the region
Inclusion: Diversity, Equity, Accessibility (I:DEA)
Storm King is committed to policies and practices that value diversity, foster equity, and create an inclusive and accessible institution. Every aspect of Storm King’s governance, operations, and programming are better and will grow stronger as a result of our commitment to I:DEA. Read more about the principles and goals that guide our ongoing work.
To be at Storm King Art Center is to experience the power of place. We acknowledge that this is Lenapehoking, the ancestral home of the Lenape, who were forced from this land through colonialism and genocide.
We honor the life held in its soil, reflected in its sky and waters. Grateful for this place which inspires our work, we recognize indigenous communities past, present, and future.
We humbly commit ourselves to the health and wholeness of this environment, to deepen and share the experience of a living, learning, and creating space for all.