In support of initiatives to control the spread of Coronavirus, Storm King’s site will remain closed until further notice. All upcoming events and programs through May 31 have been postponed.
About the Department of Education & Public Programs:
The Department of Education and Public Programs offers opportunities and experiences for a wide-ranging community of visitors. Primarily presented during Storm King’s open months of April through November, programs include concerts and performances, lectures and artist talks, family programs, school and adult tours, moonlit walks, and much, much more. Education and Public Programs reflect Storm King’s ongoing dialogue with art, landscape, and nature. Programming aims to spark immersion, inspiration, investigation, and innovation for an ever-expanding audience.
About the Opportunity and Requirements:
Storm King Art Center is currently seeking volunteer docents. Docents are specially trained to support the educational mission of Storm King. Working with visitors of all ages and backgrounds, docents guide adult, college, and school groups on tours of the permanent collection and special exhibitions, as well as helping with public programs and events, and providing general information to Storm King’s visitors.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, curious, and eager to learn. Working with the public requires an affable disposition and impeccable reliability. Candidates must be able to lead hour-long outdoor tours in variable weather conditions on Storm King’s hills, grass and gravel pathways. A background or interest in modern and contemporary art and/or landscape design is preferable. Teaching experience and fluency in other languages, especially Spanish, is a bonus.
Once selected, new docents will take part in a three-week intensive training course. Full-day sessions take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning April 14th where docents will be introduced to best practices in museum education, as well as important information about Storm King’s operation, history, collection, and exhibitions. After completing the introductory sessions, docents are required to commit to at least one year of volunteer service. This includes attending regular meetings and ongoing learning opportunities, as well as leading a minimum of ten tours per season.
Docents enjoy complimentary admission to Storm King for themselves and guests, as well as reciprocal admission to other institutions and discounts at our Museum Store and Outdoor Cafe. In addition to these benefits, the docent program provides a vibrant social community of more than 25 volunteers, many of whom have volunteered at Storm King for over a decade. As a team, docents enjoy sharing their knowledge, interests, and experience with visitors and with one another. Special behind-the-scenes tours, talks, and workshops at Storm King, trips to fabricators’ and artists’ studios, and expeditions to other museums provide for fun, lasting learning opportunities.
Interested candidates should complete the online volunteer application found here. Select applicants will be invited to interview with Storm King staff.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Local information sessions will be announced soon, check back for details.
Visitor Services Staff
About the role
Visitor Services Staff (VSS) are fundamental to Storm King’s daily operations and are involved in almost every element of the visitor experience. They are critical to the smooth operation of the site and assist visitors with way-finding, provide information on Storm King’s featured exhibitions and collection, support public programs and private events, enforce rules, and ensure the safety of visitors, staff, sculpture, and site.
Visitor Services Attendants have opportunities to be educated on the operations, collection, exhibition, artists, history, and landscape of the Art Center and can gain experience in directing traffic, operating Point of Sale Systems (cash registers), sculpture protection, and driving carts and trams.
- Interact and engage with visitors in a professional and friendly manner in wayfinding and responding to visitor needs
- Monitor areas of the site primarily by foot and enforce site rules
- Protect Storm King property
- Open/closebuildings and site following established procedures
- Respond proactively to safety issues
- Provide support with public programs and private events including set up/break down
- Assist with traffic control, parking, booth/point of sale, and/or driving trams if interested and trained
- Attend mandatory training sessions throughout the season to learn about Storm King’s featured exhibitions, safety awareness, policy and procedures, and general information
- Maintain a clean and safe environment including supporting housekeeping by moving or picking up trash, as needed
- Must be reliable, punctual, and flexible
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work well both in a team and individually
- Comfortable interacting with the public including groups of all ages, families, senior staff, VIPs, Trustees, and artists
Physical Working Conditions
- Ability to maneuver outdoors, in all weather conditions, on 500- acres of hills, grass, and gravel pathways
- Ability to vocalize in a two-way radio
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift/move up to 20lbs a plus
- Ability to operate a Point of Sale System (cash register)
Education, Licensing and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience working with the public, including volunteer and internship experience
- Knowledge of a museum environment
- Interest in art and/or landscape
- Art and/or art history education
- Cash handling and point of sale experience
- Valid driver’s license with no serious convictions (required only for some roles)
- New York State security guard license
- Willingness to patrol by bicycle
- License to operate or experience driving large passenger vehicles
Full-time and part-time positions are available for a combination of weekday and weekend schedules. All schedules include some weekend work, with the option of working select evening and private events. Typical work schedules are:
- April and May: Wednesday-Sunday, 9:30AM to 6PM
- Fridays and Saturdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day: 9:30AM – 6PM or 11:30AM – 8PM
Extra hours are available, and schedules may change as follows:
- Peak season (September to early November)
- Morning or evening events
- Limited Private Events hours
- Limited winter weekend hours
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Visitor Services” in the subject. Please indicate your preference for Booth/Point of Sale, Parking, or Tram Driver roles in your application. Preference will be given to applicants that meet current Visitor Services’ needs. No phone calls please.
All VSS are eligible to participate in Storm King’s 403(b) retirement plan.
Full-time employees may be eligible for Storm King’s benefits including medical, dental, vision, LTD, Life, and retirement plans in addition to a generous paid time off program.
Storm King Art Center is dedicated to fostering a diverse workplace. Storm King Art Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit.
People who are of color, gender oppressed, LGBTQ, immigrants with work permission, and people of diverse social and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Storm King Art Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other related consideration.