Communications and Marketing Manager
Storm King Art Center seeks a full-time Communications and Marketing Manager to join our External Affairs team.
About the Role
The Communications and Marketing Manager oversees Storm King Art Center’s growing communications and marketing needs. Reporting to the Deputy Director, External Affairs, the Communications and Marketing Manager (CAMM) is responsible for managing Storm King’s communications and marketing needs, including design, branding, social media, press engagement, and advertising, along with elements of community relations. The CAMM is also responsible for managing two full-time staff members, including the Communications and Design Coordinator and Communications and Design Assistant, delegating projects and tasks accordingly based on skill and workload. The CAMM also manages external relationships with vendors, freelancers, and Storm King’s public relations firm. The CAMM collaborates cross-departmentally to develop key messages, branded collateral, and marketing initiatives linked to institutional priorities and audience development goals.
On a day-to-day basis, the position oversees media relations, advertising, digital communications, social media, website updates, and printed materials, working closely with colleagues across various departments at the Art Center. The Manager collaborates with other members of the organization and communications team to ensure projects align with institutional priorities, are cost-effective, and fit within brand guidelines. The position strategically collaborates with the Deputy Director, External Affairs to shape the goals of the organization’s communications, marketing, and advertising strategies. The position is responsible for developing communications, marketing, and advertising plans that will be presented to Storm King Trustees.
- Develop annual work plan and budget for the Communications and Marketing team
- Write and present bi-annual reports for the organization’s External Affairs Committee Meetings
- Attend events on behalf of the organization
- Maintain/develop relationships with vendors, community partners, members of press, etc. as needed
- Administrate the organization’s bi-annual visitor survey
- Serve as the point of contact for outside PR firm, working with the firm on media relations and strategy
- Manage media relations on-site, scheduling interviews, coordinating visits, tours, press kits, and preparing answers to interview questions for Storm King staff
- Assist with writing and editing of press releases
- Develop and maintain consistent institutional voice and core messaging across all promotional materials, advertising, and online outreach
- Work collaboratively with all departments to identify target audiences and develop associated communications and marketing materials and messages in timely and productive ways
- Develop and manage all advertising relationships and content aligned with marketing and communication goals; and review and negotiate contracts from advertising outlets
- With the communications team and other departments, develop content for social media platforms that support institutional priorities, core messages, and audience development goals
- Manage development, design, and production of the organization’s print and digital marketing materials, including eblasts and social media
- Oversee all changes and updates to the organization’s website
- Maintain and uphold the organization’s design style guide
- Coordinate internal reviews and production timelines with outside vendors for print materials
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, marketing, or related field
- 5 years of experience in communications and/or marketing, preferably with a museum or art-related institution, including experience with marketing and public relations, communications, market research and analysis, event and promotion planning, and institutional positioning of a progressive communication/marketing experience
- 2+ years of managing and motivating a team
- Experience designing different types of collateral adhering to specific brand guidelines
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional writing, editing, and optimizing web content
- Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with photo and video editing, and print production
- Strong project management and managing projects with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work in a dynamic, flexible environment in a very organized and strategic manner
- Belief in the mission of Storm King; an inquisitive approach; and an ability to be a strong champion for the organization
- Ability and willingness occasionally to travel locally and to NYC
- Availability and flexibility occasionally to work evenings and weekends for events
- Proficiency in Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and all Microsoft Office applications
- Proficiency in Final Cut Pro, or comparable video editing software
- Experience with email marketing applications, Google Analytics, Google Ad Words, SEO, and SEM
- Knowledge of web CMS systems, HTML, and CSS
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works in an office environment
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes, uses a computer keyboard, and sits for long periods of time
- Ability to maneuver outdoors (in all weather conditions) on the 500-acre facility’s hills, grass, and gravel path ways
- May require occasional standing, walking, lifting, stooping, or bending
- Works occasional evening and weekend special events
- Occasional travel required to NYC for meetings and special events
This position is eligible for the full benefit package, including a generous paid time off program, medical, dental, vision, 403(b), and more.
Please send a letter of interest and CV/resume to email@example.com with “Communications & Marketing Manager” in the subject.
Full-time employees may be eligible for Storm King’s benefits including medical, dental, vision, LTD, Life, and retirement plans in addition to a generous paid time off program.
Storm King Art Center is dedicated to fostering a diverse workplace. Storm King Art Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit.
People who are of color, gender oppressed, LGBTQ, immigrants with work permission, and people of diverse social and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Storm King Art Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other related consideration.