Institutional Giving Associate
About the Role
Storm King Art Center is seeking an Institutional Giving Associate to join its growing External Affairs department. This position will report to the Associate Director, Institutional Giving & Project Support, and will strengthen engagement and cultivation of institutional donors, including foundations, government entities and corporations, and manage private institutional events throughout the year. The Institutional Giving Associate will collaborate with the External Affairs team in growing philanthropic support for the organization through identifying, cultivating, and soliciting foundations, corporations, and government funding with priorities and interests in alignment with Storm King’s mission. The Associate will also take a leadership role in managing the data that is critical to managing the Institutional Giving pipeline in Storm King’s donor database.
The Associate will possess a strong working knowledge of best practices achieved through having worked in a similar capacity at other organizations. Successful candidates will have enthusiasm for Storm King’s programming and mission, complemented by a background in development, grants or proposal development.
- Identify, develop, and manage foundation, corporate and government
- Cultivate and manage relationships with both foundations and corporations whose funding priorities align with Storm King’s
- Identify and cultivate opportunities for corporate membership and partnership
- Manage relationships and their accompanying data with a portfolio of corporate and foundation funders.
- Develop, draft, edit, finalize, and submit grant proposals, LOIs, grant reports, letters, and other communications as agreed upon within External Affairs yearly
- Support the grant renewal process for corporate and foundation donors and
- Participate in the development and evaluation of goals and objectives for the foundation, government, and corporate relations
- Continuously monitor, measure and evaluate External Affairs deliverables and calendar deadlines.
- Effectively interact with the External Affairs team, Senior Staff, staff, and board
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 year of experience in meeting goals and getting desired results from external partners. At least 3 years of experience in fundraising, grant writing, proposal development, sales or related fields may substitute for higher education
- Exceptionally persuasive in verbal and written
- Evidence of creative and innovative execution of ideas that influence deeper engagement and financial support from corporate
- Ability to develop strong relationships with donors with the highest degree of Knowledge of institutional donors and basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Strong evidence of self-direction, motivation and ability to manage competing priorities for time and attention in a fast-paced environment, while meeting
- Must be flexible and open to changing needs and
- Ability to work as part of a team, integrating ideas with
- Strong familiarity with computer systems and a willingness and ability to use new systems and software.
- Experience working within a traditional development department
- Development experience during a capital campaign
- Proficiency with Altru or other Blackbaud products, such as Raiser’s Edge
- Exposure to grantsmanship or proposal development
- Experience in arts or cultural institutions or nonprofits
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works in an office environment
- Frequently sits for long periods of time
- Frequently speaks, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard
- Must be able to work and walk outside in a variety of weather conditions
- Requires standing, lifting, stooping, or bending
- Works on weekends and evenings during the season for special events
- Ability to travel locally and to NYC is required
This position is eligible for the full benefit package including a generous paid time off program, medical, dental, vision, 403(b), and more.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample (at least three (3) pages) to email@example.com with “Institutional Giving Associate” in the subject. Only complete applications will receive full consideration. No phone calls please.
Visitor Services Staff
Storm King Art Center is seeking seasonal Visitor Services Staff from April 2019 through November 2019 with limited winter hours in December 2019 to March 2020.
About the role
Visitor Services Staff (VSS) are fundamental to Storm King’s daily operations and are involved in almost every element of the visitor experience. They are critical to the smooth operation of the site and assist visitors with wayfinding, provide information on Storm King’s featured exhibitions and collection, support public programs and private events, enforce rules, and ensure the safety of visitors, staff, sculpture, and site.
VSS have opportunities to be educated on the operations, collection, history, and landscape of the Art Center and can gain experience in directing traffic, operating Point of Sale Systems (cash registers), sculpture protection, and driving carts and trams.
- Interact and engage with visitors in a professional and friendly manner
- Monitor areas of the site and enforce site rules
- Protect Storm King property
- Open/closebuildings and site following established procedures
- Respond proactively to safety issues
- Assist with public programs and private events including set up/break down
- Attend mandatory training sessions throughout the season to learn about Storm King’s featured exhibitions, safety awareness, policy and procedures, and general information
- Maintain a clean and safe environment including supporting housekeeping by moving or picking up trash, as needed
- Must be reliable, punctual and flexible
- Interest in artand / or landscape
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work well both in a team and individually
- Comfortable interacting with the public including groups of all ages, families, senior staff, VIPs, Trustees, and artists
Physical Working Conditions
- Ability to maneuver outdoors, in all weather conditions, on 500- acres of hills, grass, and gravel pathways
- Ability to vocalize in a two-way radio
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift/move up to 50lbs a plus
- Ability to operate a Point of Sale System (cash register)
- Ability and willingness to patrol by bicycle
Education, Licensing and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license with no serious convictions
- New York State security license
- Art and/or art history education
- Prior experience working with the public, including volunteer and internship experience
- Knowledge of a museum environment
- Cash handling and point of sale experience
- License to operate or experience driving large passenger vehicles
Full-time and part-time positions are available for a combination of weekday and weekend schedules. All schedules include some weekend work, with the option of working select evening and private events. Typical work schedules are:
- April and May: Wednesday-Sunday, 9:30am to 6pm
- Fridays and Saturdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day: 9:30am-6pm or 11:30am-8pm
Extra hours are available, and schedules may change as follows:
- Peak season (September to early November)
- Morning or evening events
- Limited Private Events hours
- Limited winter weekend hours
To apply please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Visitor Services” in the subject. No phone calls please.
All VSS are eligible to participate in Storm King’s 403(b) retirement plan.
Full-time employees may be eligible for Storm King’s benefits including medical, dental, vision, LTD, Life, and retirement plans in addition to a generous paid time off program.
Storm King Art Center is dedicated to fostering a diverse workplace. Storm King Art Center is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit.
People who are of color, gender oppressed, LGBTQ, immigrants with work permission, and people of diverse social and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Storm King Art Center does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other related consideration.