Museum Store Clerk
Storm King Art Center seeks Museum Store Clerks to work as part of our dedicated and energetic Visitors Services (VS) team and support our activities through November 27, 2016. This is a part time role, 20-30 hours per week. Candidates must be able to work weekends.
About the role:
Museum Store Clerks are the retail operations segment of our Visitor Services Team and are the public face of Storm King and are essential to the smooth running of the Art Center. The VS team is responsible for enhancing the visitor experience with an always friendly and professional manner; assisting visitors by answering questions; and by providing information on Storm King exhibitions, artists and artwork, site, amenities and services.
Museum Store Clerks provide customer service to visitors at three locations throughout the grounds; answer general questions about Storm King, sell store merchandise and Memberships; answer main switchboard; and answer visitor and callers’ questions and direct calls, appropriately. Operate a point of sale and/or Square system. Work indoors and outdoors throughout the season. Work may also include pop-up store sales at special event locations as needed.
We seek candidates who can work full or part-time schedules for a combination of weekday and weekend schedules. All schedules include some weekend work. Typical work days are 9:30am to 6pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and 9:30 am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Morning or evening events will occasionally require longer working days.
- Ability to interact with visitors and staff in a consistently friendly and professional manner
- Ability to be a part of the team
- Prior point of sale and/or Square systems a plus
- Prior cash handling experience a plus
- Prior switchboard experience a plus
- Enjoy working with the public in the outdoors in all weather conditions
- Willingness to learn about Storm King history and current exhibitions
- Ability to assist with set up of special events as needed
- Ability to work behind a display counter for long periods of time
- Ability to life/carry 50lbs is required
If you have a love of art, nature, the outdoors, and working with the public and can work weekends please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Museum Store Clerk” in the subject.
Part Time Archivist
Storm King Art Center (“Storm King”) seeks a part time archivist to work approximately 20 hours per week on a grant-funded assignment. The assignment will occur in 2016 and 2017 and has the potential to continue on a more regular basis.
About the role:
The archivist will complete phases Two and Three of a three-year project (Phase One has been completed) to assess and improve conditions of, and access to, the enduring records of Storm King Art Center. Storm King’s archives (estimated at 800 cubic feet, and growing) include curatorial, exhibition, and collection files and administrative materials (including Board of Trustee Minutes, and departmental papers, e.g. Development, Membership, Events) as well as rich cache of architectural records and renderings. Collections are located throughout the building and include plans, photographs, and ephemera related to the development of Storm King’s physical site and sculptural collection.
- Arrange and describe the records, consolidate and weed under Curatorial supervision
- Assist in crafting and implementing the proposal to consolidate and store the records in a single, climate-controlled, accessible space
- Create and implement archival finding aids
- Enhance the presentation and organization of Storm King’s archives
- Implement and supervise a small-scale internship program or practicum to bring local college students into the archives to assist in preparing finding aids
- Work closely with the Director/Chief Curator and the Curator
- Represent Storm King Art Center at regional archival workshops, conferences, and events
- Work with Development staff to research and write future grant proposals to improve storage of, and access to, the archives
- Educational and Technical Requirements: Master’s degree in Library Science/Archives Management
- Two years of experience with archival processing (arrangement, description, rehousing, appraisal) and some preservation
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and Windows operating systems
- Familiarity with systems and software needed to manage and process archives and manuscript collections, create electronic finding aids, and possibly to implement ArchiveSpace
- Familiarity with digitizing, and making collections accessible digitally
- Ability to guide projects and tasks through to completion
- Ability to work independently
- Comfortable working with fellow staff, Trustees, Donors, and other visitors
- Ability to safeguard confidential information and perform with a high level of discretion, professionalism, and integrity
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work well both in a team and individually
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to lift 40-pounds unaided
- Ability to work without climate control in hot or cold indoor spaces
To Apply: please send your cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Archivist” in the subject.
Visitor Services Team
Storm King Art Center is seeking Visitor Service Staff to work for the remainder of the season, through November 27, 2016. As member of Visitor Services Staff you will have the option to train and rotate through a variety of roles including Admission Clerk, Museum Attendant and/or Tram Driver*. The ideal candidate must have a love of nature, art and working with the public.
About the role:
Our team of dedicated VS staff are the face of Storm King Art Center and are essential to the smooth running of the Art Center. VS staff are responsible for enhancing our visitors experience in a friendly and professional manner; assisting visitors by answering questions; and by providing information on Storm King exhibitions, artists and artwork, site, amenities and services. VS Staff are also responsible for protecting Storm King property through observation of and interaction with the visitors.
We seek candidates who can work full/part-time schedules for a combination of weekday and weekend schedules. All schedules include some weekend work. Typical work days are 9:30am to 6pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and 9am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Morning or evening events will occasionally require longer working days.
- Have a love of art and/or nature
- Enjoy working with the public
- Enjoy being outdoors in all weather conditions
- Have the ability to interact with visitors and staff in a consistent, friendly and professional manner
- Have a willingness to learn about Storm King and the current exhibitions to answer questions about specific sculptures and artists
- Have the ability to work closely with other staff members to monitor and enforce compliance with Storm King’s rules and policies
- Have the ability to operate or be trained to operate a point of sale iPad and cash register
- Have the ability to stand for long periods of time and walk the grounds
- The ability to patrol by bicycle (which will be provided) is a plus
- Occasional lifting may be required
- A clean and valid driver’s license is required to drive the tram
To apply please send your resume to Mary Alva, Human Resources at email@example.com with “Visitor Services” in the subject.
Communications Intern (Paid)
Storm King Art Center, one of the world’s premiere sculpture parks, seeks a paid intern to work on various marketing projects during the Fall 2016 Season. This internship is for 3+ months 3-5 days a week.
This unique position offers hands-on training in a fast-paced, team-oriented museum environment. The ideal candidate will also gain valuable insight into the art world while working on various marketing projects.
In this role, you will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of communications including, but not limited to the following:
- Supporting communications events
- Tracking communications activities
- Tracking press mentions
- Assisting with Storm King’s social media presence
- Assisting with the preparation of weekly flyers for weekend events including a list of events and brief descriptions and communicate as needed with Visitor Services Staff
- Entering events on online calendars including date, time, description and photo
- Working with Senior Staff to create e-blasts and e-blast schedule
- Inputting survey and visitor data information
- Assisting with updates to Storm King’s website
- Photographing events and activities
- Assist with on and off-site events
The ideal candidate must have
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A professional demeanor
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- The candidate must be a team player with flexibility and willingness to work in a variety of tasks
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) is required
- Working knowledge of Photoshop or InDesign a benefit
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS a benefit
- Working knowledge of Constant Contact a benefit
This is a paid internship opportunity; if needed, credits can be coordinated through your college or university.
If you are an energetic and responsible individual who has a strong interest in learning about museums and communications, then please submit your cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org “Communications Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Storm King Art Center is an equal opportunity institution/employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, creed, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status, mental or physical handicap or any other category protected by law.